Year 4 - Key Knowledge and learning Outcomes
Year 4 Key Knowledge
- Anything north of the equator lies in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Anything south of the equator lies in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The Tropic of Cancer lies in the Northern Hemisphere.
- The Tropic of Capricorn lies in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Mount Vesuvius is a volcano it is located in Italy.
- The earth has seven tectonic plates.
- Sweden and Norway are part of Scandinavia and their capital cities are Oslo and Stockholm.
- The port of Malmo is in Copenhagen which is in Denmark.
- Cammell Lairds is located in Birkenhead and is famous for ship building.
Year 4 Learning Outcomes
- Name and locate volcanoes and earth quakes around the world.
- What is unique about the location of the world’s volcanoes and earth quakes e.g. position and significance of latitude, longitude, equator and northern/ southern hemispheres
- What impact have volcanoes and earth quakes had on land use patterns over time.
- Name and locate Scandinavian countries and major cities.
- Understand the human and physical characteristic of Sweden.
- Locate the major ports in Europe and compare Copenhagen Port of Malmo to The Port of Liverpool.
Human and Physical Geography
- Climate zones, rivers, mountains, biomes and vegetation belts in the Scandinavian countries.
- Volcanoes and Earthquakes
- Economic activity including trade links
Geographical Skills and Fieldwork (Cammel Lairds and the growth of Birkenhead and Liverpool)
- To use maps, atlases, globes, aerial photographs to locate key features in Wirral.
- Focus study of Birkenhead Docks, Cammel Lairds and the River Mersey.
Use ordinance survey maps and four figure grid references.